Sunday, December 10, 2023

Sent to Nepal - Nov/Dec 2023

 My time in Nepal always goes too quickly. Raju, Rajan, and I packed a lot into the last three weeks. The first week was just a whirlwind of travel and visits as Raju and I made our way from Kathmandu to the Jarjarkot district and the epicenter of the Nov. 3rd earthquake the morning after I arrived. The next few days were spent traveling deep into the Himalayan foothills. You can read about HERE

After a couple of long and bumpy bus and tuk-tuk rides, we arrived in the Chitwan District where Raju lives and also where the Himalayan Bible Institute is located. We decided to take a night bus so we would have a day to recoup and get ready for three days of HBI classes, a one-day Pastoral Training Seminar, and the HBI graduation that was scheduled for the week ahead. 

During the remainder of my time in Nepal, we traveled to HCLC-Nepal congregations located in the foothills of the Himalaya to conduct one-day outreach seminars on the topic of baptism. Raju has been dealing with some serious throat and voice issues, so his brother Rajan accompanied us to translate for me. It was great to have him along as he was also eager to visit the villages. For over 10 years, he has been running a non-profit foundation dedicated to developing schools and tribal communities in those areas. 

Raju and I took a long and bumpy bus to Pokhara, where we spent a day resting and enjoying the scenic views of the Himalayas. (This is the best time of the year to witness the mountains as the cool temperatures bring clear skies.) The next day, I took a 30-minute flight back to Kathmandu rather than endure another 8+ hour bus ride. Raju, flew back to his home to spend some well-deserved time with his family and rest. While in Kathmandu I had the privilege of preaching at the main HCLCN congregation and met with many of my dear brothers and sisters in Christ that I have known for over fifteen years now. I also spent some time with Rajan to discuss his non-profit humanitarian work among the marginalized tribes of Nepal. 

It's Sunday afternoon here as I write. I have several hours before I head to the airport later tonight for my 2:15 am flight from Kathmandu to Doha to Philadelphia to HOME! I've got 30+ hours of travel before I get home, but with the change in time zones, I'll be home just 18 hours after I leave KTM. I'm going to do a little gift shopping, take a nap, and look forward to seeing my family again very soon.

Here are a few pictures from the past couple of weeks...

Pastor Raju and four of the 2023 Himalayan Bible Institute Graduates

Pastors Raju and JB, their wives Rama and Sanju and the HBI graduates

HCLC-Nepal Pastoral Conference/Training Seminar

Raju and Me with the Banner for the Graduation and Conference

Pastor JB, Me, and Pastor Raju

HCLC-Nepal Church Building at Hattibang


Outreach Seminar on Baptism at Hattibang

Outreach Baptism Seminar at Hattibang

The View from the Roof of the Himalayan Bible Institute

Machapuchre/Fish Tail Mountain

A typical scene not far from the HBI

Early Morning Sunrise on My Way to the HBI to Teach Classes


No comments: